According to a report from the “NO to the Harassment and Imprisonment of Baha’is in Iran” Campaign, citing Baha’i News: 24 Baha’is have been sentenced to over 193 years of imprisonment in total by a court in Gorgan.
These are among the heaviest sentences issued in the past few years against Baha’i citizens.
The court in Gorgan which has been hearing the cases of small groups of Baha’is since April 25, 2015, has issued sentences in 24 cases, sending these Baha’is to prison for 193 years, collectively. These sentences are one of the heaviest rulings issued in the past few years, for Baha’is. The names and sentences of these 24 Baha’is listed as follows:
Sentenced to 11 years in prison:
- Shahnam Jadhbani from Minudasht
- Shayda Qodousi from Gorgan,
Sentenced to 9 years in prison:
- Farah Tebyanian,
- Puna Sana’i,
- Mona Amri Hesari,
- Behnam Hassani,
- Parisa Shahidi,
- Mojdeh Zouhori,
- Parivash Shoja`i, Tina Mauhabati and Hana Aqiqiyan from Gorgan
- Shohreh Samimi from Minudasht
- Bita Hedayati,
- Vesaq Sana’i and Hana Kushkabaghi from Gonbad-e Qabus
Sentenced to 6 years in prison:
- Rufeya Pakzadan,
- Soudabeh Mehdinezhad,
- Mitra Nouri,
- Shiva Rouhani,
- Houshmand Dehqan,
- Mariyam Dehqan and
- Nazi Tahqiqi from Gorgan,
- Kamelia Bideli and
- Navid Moalemi from Minudasht
These sentences will be reviewed by the Provincial court of review. Three of the women sentenced now have husbands who are already in prison, and who have not been allowed any prison furlough. Their husbands were in a group of seven Baha’i men from Gorgan who were sentenced in May 2013.
- Punah Sana’i is the sister, and Farah Sana’i is the wife, of Fahrmand Sana’i, was sentenced to five years;
- Parisa Shahidi is the wife of Kamal Kashani, sentenced to five years,
- Mojdeh Zouhori the wife of Farhad Fahandezh, sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Among the 24 Baha’is sentenced on this occasion, Shohreh Samimi is the wife of Shahnam Jadhbani, while Kamelia Bideli is the wife of Navid Moalemi.
According to informed sources, these sentences can be appealed. Nearly twenty Baha’i were arrested on Oct 17, 2012 in Gorgan and Gonbad-e Qabus in a wide crackdown on Baha’is in the region, and later released on bail on a temporary basis.
FB January, 26, 2016